Now Hiring: Director of Finance and Operations
Join our dynamic team of consultants committed to building healthy, just and equitable communities.
Position: Director of Finance and Operations, Full-time
Location: Minneapolis/Saint Paul, MN
Start Date: Spring 2023
Salary: $150,000 – $180,000
Priority consideration given to applications received by March 24, 2023
Grassroots Solutions (www.grassrootssolutions.com) is an engagement strategy and evaluation firm committed to building healthy, just, and equitable communities. Majority-owned by women, we’re a diverse team based in eight states and the District of Columbia with backgrounds in campaigns, policy, philanthropy, and advocacy. Since our founding in 1999, our clients have included hundreds of philanthropic, electoral, nonprofit, and advocacy organizations working for progressive change.
As a values-driven consulting firm, we are committed to centering racial justice, gender justice, and equity in our work with clients and internal operations. We hold ourselves accountable to that commitment through our interactions with our clients, their collaborators, and each other. In addition, it shapes our contracting processes with subcontractors and vendors, operations, and internal professional development.
We know that women, trans, non-binary folks and BIPOC are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are really interested in diverse candidates applying for this role, and we know that not everyone’s work history might match every bullet in the job description. If you feel ready for this job, please apply.
About the Job
Grassroots Solutions is hiring a Director of Finance and Operations who will oversee all aspects of the firm’s financial and administrative systems, supervise the Finance and Operations Manager, manage vendors, and work in partnership with firm leadership to create an inclusive, welcoming work environment for our team of consultants. In your role, you will help run a well-established and profitable consulting firm working to advance progressive and racial and social justice causes across the country.
Your job will include:
Firm Culture and Leadership
- Serve as a strategic partner to the Managing Principal to lead conversations about the firm’s business model including questions of growth, resources, profitability, and optimizing business operating systems and compensation
- Actively participate and contribute to Principal discussions, providing input on relevant financial and strategic considerations, and serving as an objective evaluator and offering a unique perspective
- Organize, lead, and participate in various internal working groups and meetings
- Contribute to nurturing internal firm culture that is fun, creative, supportive and allows staff to bring their whole self to the workplace
- Bring illuminating, sometimes challenging questions related to issues of equity and racial and gender justice to internal discussions
Financial Systems and Management
- Develop short- and long-range financial strategies to support our goals and the growth of the business
- Lead annual firm wide budgeting and ongoing project specific financial analysis
- Develop a financial dashboard and monitor and report on financial performance
- Lead forecasting processes, identifying resource needs and developing action plans
- Oversee the firm’s day-to-day financial operations, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit card management, QuickBooks, cashflow and bi-weekly payroll processing
- Present financials to owners, principals, and staff transparently and using understandable language
- Facilitate year-end processes, taxes, profitability and profit-sharing
- Work with Finance & Operations Manager and accountants on 1099s and state and federal tax filings
- Manage contracting processes, including drafting and/or review client and subcontractor contracts
- Manage vendors and firm tools and resources
- Manage benefit packages including renewals, reporting, and staff communications
- Write and update policies and procedures, and communicate changes to staff
- Manage hiring and orientation processes
- Coordinate yearly staff reflection and evaluation process
What You’ll Bring
- Commitment to equity and racial and gender justice, including competency to engage in courageous conversations with colleagues
- Ability to work independently while being an integral part of a team
- Comfort with leading operations of a remote company with staff in multiple states
- Proven ability to design and manage finance and operations systems for a growing services business
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Commitment to exceptional client services
- Capacity to move between strategic/big picture forecasting and analysis and overseeing hands-on bookkeeping
- Ability to manage contracting process with a diverse set of clients
- Sense of humor and appetite for innovation and creativity
- Proven ability to handle sensitive information with discretion
- Delight in being hands on and deeply involved in firm-wide culture building
- Willingness to co-learn with co-workers
We encourage people of all backgrounds and persuasions to apply. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, physical disability, pregnancy, military or veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by state or federal law.
Grassroots Solutions offers health, dental, short-term, long-term, and life insurance for its employees. We also offer a 401(k) plan with an employer contribution, flexible paid time off, profit sharing, funds for professional development, funds to outfit a home office, and a cell phone stipend.
This position is based in the Twin Cities, where we are headquartered, and supports a fully remote team of consultants in eight states and DC.
How to Apply: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Finance and Operations” in the subject line. Priority consideration given to applications received by March 24, 2023.