Hiring: Director of Finance and Operations
Position: Director of Finance and Operations, Full-time
Start Date: Summer 2022
Salary: $110,000 – $120,000
Application materials due by May 31, 2022
Position open until filled
Grassroots Solutions (www.grassrootssolutions.com) is an engagement strategy and evaluation firm committed to building healthy, just, and equitable communities. Majority-owned by women, we’re a diverse team based in eight states and the District of Columbia with backgrounds in campaigns, policy, philanthropy, and advocacy. Since our founding in 1999, our clients have included hundreds of philanthropic, electoral, nonprofit, and advocacy organizations working for progressive change.
As a values driven consulting firm, we are committed to centering racial justice, gender justice, and equity in our work with clients and internal operations. We hold ourselves accountable to that commitment through our interactions with our clients, their collaborators, and each other. In addition, it shapes our contracting processes with subcontractors and vendors, operations, and internal professional development.
About the Job
Grassroots Solutions is hiring a Director of Finance and Operations who will manage day-to-day finance and operations responsibilities, as well as work in partnership with the Managing Principal to create an inclusive, welcoming work environment for our team of consultants. In your role, you will help run a profitable consulting firm working to advance progressive and racial and social justice causes across the country. Your job will include:
- Manage day-to-day financial operations of the firm, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit card management, firm wide and project specific financial analysis, budgeting and cashflow
- Present financials to owners, principals, and staff transparently and using understandable language
- Process payroll bi-weekly including entry, tracking changes, communicating with payroll company about tax issues or other concerns
- Facilitate year-end processes, taxes, profitability and profit-sharing
- Draft and/or review client and subcontractor contracts
- Work with accountants for state and federal tax filings
- Manage vendors and firm tools and resources
- Manage benefit packages including renewals, reporting, and staff communications
- Write and update policies and procedures, and communicate changes to staff
- Manage hiring and orientation processes
- Coordinate yearly staff reflection and evaluation process
Culture and Leadership
- Contribute to nurturing internal firm culture that is fun, creative, supportive and allows staff to bring their whole self to the workplace
- Bring illuminating, sometimes challenging questions related to issues of equity and racial and gender justice to internal discussions
- Participate and/or lead various internal working groups
What You’ll Bring
- Commitment to equity and racial and gender justice, including competency to engage in courageous conversations with colleagues
- Ability to work independently while being an integral part of a team
- Comfort with leading operations of a remote company
- Particular attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Experience managing finance and operations for a business
- Capacity to move between big picture forecasting and analysis and hands-on bookkeeping
- Ability to critically think and read contracts with the company’s needs in mind
- Sense of humor and appetite for innovation and creativity
- Proven ability to handle sensitive information with discretion
- Willingness to co-learn with co-workers
We encourage people of all backgrounds and persuasions to apply. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, physical disability, pregnancy, military or veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by state or federal law.
Grassroots Solutions offers health, dental, short-term, long-term, and life insurance for its employees. We also offer a 401(k) plan with an employer contribution, flexible paid time off, profit sharing, funds for professional development, funds to outfit a home office, and a cell phone stipend. We are a fully remote company rooted in Minnesota and New York.
How to Apply: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Finance and Operations” in the subject line by May 31, 2022.